Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sometimes artists are required to explain what art (and place) mean to them. I've never done this formally, but at the Jentel residency, the visual artists and writers give a presentation to SAGE, an art group in Sheridan, during the third week of residency. I'm really into my explanation as you can see. However, I look like a crazed bird ready to chirp out some warning, such as beware of the predators you see here.

photo courtesy of Jennifer Baker-Henry

One of my goals for Jentel is to move my interest in the micro world of nature, in this case lichen, from one-half inch square pen drawings, as you see here below, to large paintings.


I'm learning to work with acrylic paints, so I've thoroughly enjoyed the experimentation. The ten-inch square painting below is one step in the direction of my goal. I worked on a series of eight-inch and then ten-inch square panels as tests, which have led up to 22" by 28" panels. I plan to go even larger, but this will be beyond the Jentel residency.

No comments:

Post a Comment